How Reading Books Makes My Life More Interesting


My life is extremely boring. All I do is go to lectures, go to work, go to placement, and plan my dissertation. I don't have much free time (I actually don't have ANY days off a week), I don't have any friends in my current city, and I'm struggling to find time to finish watching Gilmore Girls (my fave series ever btw). Living a rather uneventful life gets extremely mundane and boring. Therefore, at the start of 2019, I gave myself the goal to set aside time to read books a lot more.

I'm currently on my fourth book of the year, which is pretty impressive considering I'm potentially the world's slowest reader. One thing I've noticed this year so far is that reading books gets me extremely excited to live my life. The first book I read this year was a non-fiction about the brain and how it causes our weird behaviours*** (I'm a psychology postgraduate student so it's TOTALLY acceptable for me to enjoy these types of books) and it made me so interested in all the different types of lives people have. In complete contrast, I'm currently reading a fictional romance book about a girl living in New York who [surprise surprise] falls in love! 

I think romance books are probably my favourite to read because they're always so different to my experiences with romance. Most romance books sugar-coat everything and make relationships seem so passionate and affectionate all the time. In actual fact, they're really not like that. And real-life guys don't seem to have the capability of forming cute sentences about their true honest romantic feelings for you. So I like to read these books to allow myself to imagine what a perfect romance is like.

I also love books about astronomy. I find the idea of the universe and space really enticing. I love understanding how small the world is in retrospect to the universe. It makes me feel as though the "problems" in my life aren't actually that huge and they're not going to affect the planet, and I find comfort in the fact that I am an ordinary human like everyone else living on a tiny planet in the huge universe.

Basically, books are incredible. Time spent reading is never time wasted. Although I find it difficult to balance reading for leisure and reading for uni, but either way I am constantly learning something beneficial. If you don't read much, then I would strongly recommend trying to find a book that interests you. There are millions of books out there, and each one is written from a different perspective. My life will always be interesting if I'm reading books.

Now it's time to do an awful Saturday shift at my job where customers are always rude and see me as worthless for working in retail, but at least I can come home and read a book about a different life :)

-bunnydiver. 


*** 'The Idiot Brain' by Dean Burnett - would highly recommend.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Becky Stoakes. Powered by Blogger.